This is a puzzle recipe included in Tuppenny Rice and Treacle, apparently well-known in the north of England in Edwardian Times. It reads as follows –
- 1/2 lb Judges 5, verse 25 (last clause)
- 1/2 lb Jeremiah 6, verse 20
- 1 tbsp 1 Samuel 14, verse 25
- 3 of Jeremiah 17, verse 11
- 1/2 lb 1 Samuel 30, verse 12
- 1/2 lb Nahum 3, verse 12 (chopped)
- 2 oz Numbers 17, verse 8 (blanched and chopped)
- 1 lb 1 Kings 4, verse 22
- season to taste with 2 Chronicles 9, verse 9
- a pinch of Leviticus 2, verse 13
- 1 tsp Amos 4, verse 5
- 1 tbsp Judges 4, verse 19
Did everyone know their bible well enough to decipher this? Probably not, given that some of the clues are from some very minor prophets! There are two possible ways for you to find the solution to this puzzle – a search of the Old Testament or purchase of Tuppenny Rice and Treacle.
I tried this recipe recently – see the picture. As with many recipes in the book, it is not clear what temperature and timing is required and I probably overdid it slightly on both counts, as it turned out a bit dry. Perhaps a couple more tbsp’s of 12 could have helped?
If you try it, please let is know how yours turned out on our ‘I tried the Recipe’ feature